State Water Investigation Directorate (SWID),an independent Directorate under the Water Resources,Investigation & Development Department,Government of West Bengal, is headed by the Director assisted by Engineering Wing, Geological Wing, Hydrological Wing, Meteorological Wing, Chemical Wing, Data Processing, Storage & Retrieval Wing, a Geophysical unit, to carry out investigation and quantitative & qulitative assessment of water resources in the State. It also shares expertise with various government developmental agencies in various groundwater and surface water projects for agriculture, industrial and drinking water development in the State including augmentation of water resources through implementation of various conservation/artificial recharge schemes.
PRINCIPAL ACTIVITIES OF SWID ARE SUMMARIZED AS BELOW: -
- Periodical monitoring of groundwater level in different Blocks
- Periodical monitoring of surface water discharge in different rivers
- Census of Minor Irrigation Schemes
- Groundwater Resources, Estimation and assessment
- Assessment of GW & SW quality with respect to space and time
- Delineation of aquifers containing salinity, arsenic, fluoride, iron and other heavy metals in groundwater
- Evalution of aquifer parameters through analysis & pumping tests data
- Implementation of pilot schemes of artificial recharge to ground water,
- Generatiion of hydro-meteorological data & it's interpetation.
- Preparation of District-wise and Block wise hydrogeological maps and groundwater resource feasibility maps.
- Geophysical investigation of groundwater
- Sharing technical expertise with to different Government Departments, Semi-Government Organizations, Local Self Bodies, Universities, WBSEB, Banks,individuals and groups of individuals in connection with surface water and groundwater development & management
- Implementation of "West Bengal Ground Water Resources (Management, Control & Regulation) Act, 2005" in the state of West Bengal.